Featured post

Get your Dream Home at the online expo organized by MW Group

Sonarika Bhadoria reveals what kept her away from television for so long


TV actress Sonarika Bhadoria is making a comeback on TV after more than four years. She was last seen as Goddess Parvati in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev. But, she is back with a bang with Sony TV's magnum opus Prithvi Vallabh, where she plays the role of princess Mrinal. She is a total badass on the show, where she is seen sword-fighting, beheading people and riding horses.

In an exclusive chat with India Today Online, Sonarika talks about playing Mrinal and what kept her away from the small screen for so long.


Tell us about your character Mrinal.

In a TV show, we've always seen a hero and a heroine but Mrinal is an anti-heroine. She is a vengeance seeking woman who is very strong, fierce and very powerful. She is both physically and mentally strong. She has got her head into politics and she runs a kingdom (Manyakheta).

You are making a comeback after four years. What took you so long?

Content and the way television works kept me away for so long. I am so glad that we have adapted this thing of finite series from the west. This is also the first Indian TV show to have started its pre-production some eight months back. Everything looks perfect and we had all the time in the world to shoot for it. It's something different. This is not the television I remember doing, so I am very happy.

You've worked in TV shows before. How different was it to shoot for a pre-shot show?

It's a personal choice. I am talking from my point of view. There is a monotony that sets in. Also you are not that creative when you are shooting a day or two prior to the telecast. The shows that have been running on for so long, after a point of time they run out of stories to tell. And, that when they come up with you know what. With finite series like in Pakistan, the content is so nice. We stick to the story, which has a beginning and an end.

How was your experience of shooting for the show?

It was wonderful, exhilarating and all the nice words that I can think of because it has also been a learning experience for me, both individually and as an actor. I got to learn so much through this show. And I am still learning. Right from horse-riding to sword-fighting to kicking some asses...I have never done these things before. And I am doing some great action scene, which is very thrilling.

You play a strong character of a warrior princess. Do you think Indian TV lacks strong female characters?

I have said this before, India is a male dominated society. Although, we see that Indian television is a female centric medium. But, what content do we offer where woman are the primary subject? They cry, they cook and they are being plotted against. The story usually revolves around these three facets.

I was so thrilled when I got to do Mrinal. She is a hero in every way. I won't even say a heroine. She is out and out a hero.

You look quite hot on the screen as Mrinal. What do you do maintain a fit body?

Initially, while preparing for the show I was sweating it out in the gym. But now, the show is such that every other day, either I am riding a horse or I am jumping off cliffs, so my fitness is being take care without putting any extra effort. I don't believe in starving yourselves, diet means eating good stuff.

You were criticised for sporting a bikini. Do you think playing goddess Parvati had to something to do with it?

Actor play the characters and not the other way around. It's very important for people to understand that. We do have our personal lives and they shouldn't mince it together. I am the way I am and that's not going to change, so they should either accept it or let it be.

Comments