Featured post

Get your Dream Home at the online expo organized by MW Group

Sai Paranjpye: I have had my #MeToo moments too

Sai Paranjpye: I have had my #MeToo moments too 


Pinning the feisty octogenarian down for a conversation on topics ranging
from the book in works to the #MeToo movement takes some doing. But
once she’s in the chatmode, Sai Paranjpye right off recalls that when she
was a teenager, a ‘roadside Romeo’ who had flashed her while she was
cycling down Pune street, was hauled by her straight to the police station.
Next morning, she was advised not to register a formal complaint. It
wouldn’t be proper for a young woman to even mention the offender’s
private parts. That didn’t deter her though. If the man had dared to do the
unspeakable, surely, she didn’t have to mind her language.
On the #MeToo movement, Paranjpye says, “It’s terrific that many women
are coming forward to expose the offenders. But it shouldn’t just become
the trend of the season, the momentum has to be sustained. Suspects or whatever the correct legal term is, have been reined
in. Women can’t be bulldozed any longer. It’s been asserted loud and clear, ‘You can’t get away with it’.”
Next, her pause speaks. Am I merely interested in extracting quotable quotes on the #MeToo topic? Am I using her book as a
journalistic ruse? Fair enough. Hence, I return to the translation regimen, only to be answered with a knowing chuckle, “Alright,
I’ll take your word for it. The book’s my labour of love right now and it’s taking me forever. I’m still living in the past century.
Since I’m not computersavvy, I write on clean white paper with a black ink pen. That led to a crick in the neck, spondylitis. After
intensive physio therapy, I’m back to the grind.”
By the year-end, she should be done with the English translation. “If you have a catchy title, let me know,” she laughs
companionably

Comments